PetFirst was founded in 2004 and is located in Jeffersonville, Indiana by Lansdon B. Robbins and A. Brent Hinton. They offer simple, straight forward policies that are easy to understand.
PetFirst Healthcare Overview
PetFirst also prides itself by putting special emphasis on family pets by providing insurance for multi-pets households. Up to three dogs can be insured under one plan and family plans also include a blend of cats and dogs.
One Quartermaster Court
Jeffersonville, IN 47130
Underwritten by Alternative American Insurance Corporation and by Lloyds of London. Available in all fifty states and the District of Columbia.
Pets that can be insured:
Cats and Dogs.
What is covered?:
PetFirst offers various different programs for cats and dogs which provide various degrees of coverage and claims: Preferred Plus, Preferred, Basic, Senior and Accident Only. The age for enrolling pets for Basic, Preferred, and Preferred Plus Plans is 8weeks – 9 years. For senior plans the enrollment age is 10 years.
• Accident and Illness coverage
• Routine care
• Advertising and rewards for lost or stolen pets
• Boarding and Kennel fees
• Pet loss by straying or theft
• Vacation trip cancellations
• Burial an2d cremation
• All of the above, excluding burial and cremation
• Same as preferred, excluding trip cancellation and loss due to theft or straying
• Limited to accident and illness coverage and routine care
Accident Only: All plans can be customized to cover pets’ individual needs. PetFirst also allows the insurance of 2 pet families and 3 pet families which allows multi-household pets to insure up to 3 pets less than one plan.
• Limited to unexpected accidents
All plans can be customized to cover pets’ individual needs. PetFirst also allows the insurance of 2 pet families and 3 pet families which allows multi-household pets to insure up to 3 pets less than one plan.
Are pre-existing conditions covered?:
Pre-existing conditions are not covered.
What is not included in plans?:
• Pre-existing conditions
• Elective procedures
• Anal glands removal
• Foods, nutritional supplements
• Parasite treatment
• Time and travel expenses for vets
• Illnesses or accidents resulting from racing, fighting, guarding
• Congenital, hereditary or chronic diseases (can be added on to policies)
• Diagnosis, medical management, or surgical correction of ligament damage
• Treatment of periodontal disease.
• Patella luxation or hip dysplasia.
• Treatment of foreign body ingestion if more than once per policy period
Any vet can be used.
Deductibles are per incident per policy term. Deductibles are $50 or $100 per incident depending on location and policy. Routine/Wellness care has no deductible.
Starts at $17/month. Quotes depend on the plan, species, add ons and location. PetFirst does not have a maximum lifetime payout but has maximum payouts per incident and year. Their plans prices are: Preferred Plus Plan (annual limit $15,000/ per incident limit $2500), Preferred Plan (annual limit $12,000/per incident limit $1500), Basic Plan (annual limit $7,500/ per incident limit $1500) and the Senior Plan (annual limit – $2,000/per incident limit $2000). PetFirst does not have a maximum lifetime payout. And the Co-Pay: 10% or 20% (senior plan). For more information please refer to our comparison table to get a free quotes.
PetFirst has partnered with many institutions to extend pet insurance to various facilities. These partners include boarding facilities, shelters and rescue groups, veterinarians and corporations. By partnering with various groups, PetFirst hopes to integrate pet insurance into various services.